Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Excitement

I was strolling down Beal Road in Slab City this morning when a fire truck came howling my way. It was soon followed by an Imperial County Sheriff. And a Border Patrol truck. And another Sheriff. And a Calipatria Police car. And another Border Patrol vehicle. And an unmarked truck with stealth lights.

Hmmm, I thought. I reversed course and headed toward the commotion. This is what I saw when I got there:


There was a man on the ground, next to the Christian Center, being attended by EMTs (the yellow spot of color between the vehicles). I couldn't see whether he was cuffed.

I remembered seeing a Sheriff talking with a man when I had passed by earlier. Had the guy caused a problem? Had he passed out from the heat and anxiety? Did all the law enforcement respond because it was a major incident? Were they just bored and wanted something to do?

As I was leaving, a helicopter (Border Patrol, I think) arrived and circled a couple of times. Woo, big day at the Slabs.

1 comment: