Wednesday, September 5, 2018

I never thought I’d say this

The rising sun illuminates the western peeks

It would be an understatement to say I was never much of a morning person. I hated mornings. Probably because I loved sleeping so much. However, since becoming both an old fart and a van dweller my internal clock has shifted to where I happily wake up around 6:00 a.m. That doesn’t mean I get out of bed, though. It’s still one of my favorite places—especially when it’s 53°F/11.6°C in the van.

Summer is nearly over, the autumnal equinox is just down the road, and there’s less daylight. I haven’t noticed it that much yet in the evenings. I’m a little surprised it’s not totally dark until after 8:15 p.m. or so. But, man, lately it seems like the sun… will… never… rise. It’s even worse when, like today, I’m surrounded by mountains.

I’ve said many times before I’m a huge fan of Daylight Saving Time. I think it should be the standard. But dare I say it? Here goes: I think I’ll be a little glad when we shift back to Standard Time. How about a compromise? Let’s shift just a half hour. A little more sunlight in the morning without losing too much in the evening. Or I could chase daylight southward. How long would it take to drive to Chile?

5 comments:

  1. It's been a couple of years since I talked with these three, but I *think* they made it all the way south.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DM9LP56FNno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another of their vids - Burning Man.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uekRjzyEiHo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What real difference does it make to your daily life as a retired nomadic out boondocking if some government agency says reset your mass produced clock by an hour on certain days of the year? They do not have the ability to change the movements of the solar system. That is the clock you are now living by, the noise of alarm clocks is the buzz of the swarming human worker bees. The real bees who get up in the morning to make honey pay no attention at all to daylight savings time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I need to deal with people and institutions in the non-retired, unfree world.

      Delete