Sunday, September 23, 2018

Up into the Sierras again

I learned about Kennedy Meadows when I read Wild. It’s a rest and resupply spot on the Pacific Crest Trail. And, as I learned from studying Google Maps satellite view, the road is paved all the way there. Paved and steep. Steep enough that I needed to stop a couple of times to let the engine cool down. (Good thing I have actual gauges and that I look at them from time to time.)

The Kennedy Meadows campground isn’t much to write about or take photos of, but I discovered a dispersed camping area a little south of the campground with a short trail to the South Fork of the Kern River.

I made the trip because after a week of tolerable temperatures in Kernville it had become too hot. Ninety-something degrees. Since Kennedy Meadows is about 3,500 feet higher it would be cooler. I could handle being a little chilly at night better than roasting in the afternoon. And it was someplace new to me. New is usually good.

3 comments:

  1. Kingston canyon, Nevada. New, maybe, cool at night, yup, internet, nope, hotsprings, close, gas...Carver's station, $3.28. Take the 120 past mono to tonopah, then 376 to KC. I just left there. Internet in Kingston, yup.

    ReplyDelete