Wednesday, February 5, 2020

I had my aversions backwards

The forecast was for overnight lows near freezing, and it was certainly feeling like that shortly after sundown. Grumble moan whine. I could use the stove to heat the Rolling Steel Tent while I was awake, turning it on for short periods, but I couldn’t do that while sleeping. Groan mumble whine.

I got under the covers: a medium down quilt with a lightweight blanket on top. Layering, man. I pulled on my ratty old knit cap. Keep the head warm, amigo. And I thought about how miserable I was going to be. Groan mumble whine.

The temperature continued to drop and my bedding was barely adequate. I reached into the cabinet (which is easy when you’re in a tight space like a van) and grabbed my sleeping bag. I added it to the bottom of the pile. That helped. Oh, the joys of retained body heat. The groaning mumbling and whining died down and I slept well, in a semi-conscious, semi-cryogenic state.

It was 34°F/1°C inside the van when I woke in the middle of the night to pee. That’s when I had a mini epiphany: It’s not sleeping in the cold that I hate. It’s being awake in the cold.

8 comments:

  1. It's the getting out of bed, at least that's what I've always said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pee when it's cold at 3 a.m.,.,...It's the ONLY thing I dislike about freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe one day there will be a heater invented that will be microscopic when not in use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a Wave 6 in the van ('92 Ford Aerostar), but it put out too much heat for the Tracker. Monoxide emissions are so low for both the Wave 6 and the Wave 3 I was/am able to keep the windows shut tight. Been doing it for years. The 1.1 gallon propane tank (Cal Ranch stores have small tanks) lasts about 4 days if I use the heater all night every night. Costs $3.50 to fill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is your van insulated? Did you include insulation when you got it ready for your nomadic life? If not, have you considered it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was a bare van when I got it. The most time consuming thing was doing the insulation.
      https://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/2013/06/irony-of-day.html

      Delete