Thursday, April 23, 2020

Adventures in cheap packaged foods: Spam

So far, this series has featured canned meats I had never tried before. Now I’m shifting focus to products I’ve had in the distant past. Some were served by my mother. Some I tried on my own. I used to love some of them and others tasted nasty. What would I think of them now that my tastes have matured, and after my tastebuds had been destroyed by throat cancer treatments and regenerated? I’m on a mission to find out.

No one ever said it was health food

First up, famous/infamous Spam. The lasting legacy of World War II. Still popular enough to fill supermarket and convenience store shelves. In a variety of flavors. Someone is eating this much-maligned stuff.

In all its naked glory

Luckily, the market offered half-size cans of Spam Classic. So I’d be throwing away less, if it came to that.

I took a taste and… nothing gross, just a lot of salt. Spam is short for spiced ham, and the number one spice is salt. Mountains of salt. Otherwise, it tastes a lot like bologna or hot dogs.

Spam is already fully cooked, so it can be eaten cold or heated. I fried up mine with potatoes. Given the amount of salt in Spam I didn’t salt the spuds. I could’ve gotten fancier, adding onions, peppers, cheese or whatever, but I wanted a more pure Spam experience. So just a little black pepper.

It was merely okay, which I suppose is a lot better than I had feared. I may never buy Spam again because there are better choices. But it’s no longer on my uninformed, knee-jerk, I’d Rather Starve list.

9 comments:

  1. I have had any Spam in over 50 years but the salt content kept me from trying it out again as an RVer. Thank you for the test, it saved me trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sliced, fried, then coated with applesauce. For me, the applesauce is necessary to make Spam edible.

    Spam is so popular in Hawaii that McDonald's there sells sandwiches with Spam on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be more attractive if they changed the currently negative connotation of the name. I delete the crap constantly, why would want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness gracious maybe the vegan, vegetarians are on to something....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! If my math is correct, eating the entire can gives you 105% of your daily allotment of Saturated Fat. Unless you share it with with 2.5 friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spam needs catsup, IMO. You brown slices in your frying pan, cover the slices with catsup, and then eat.

    I do agree that Spam needs spuds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think two of those little cans contain a lethal dose of sodium (40 grams).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fried, crispy, on toast with Mustard....Tastes O.K. to me.
    I keep a couple of cans in my motor home, just in case...

    ReplyDelete
  9. seemed to be the fast food of choice in Hawaii. All the food cart vendors and the deli section in the grocery stores had breakfast and lunch bento boxes with spam as a prime ingredient. OK for a now and again ingredient but not a regular item in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete