Saturday, April 11, 2020

Day of the decadence

A nomad friend posted that he had splurged on a truck stop shower. I was surprised the showers were open, considering the public health issues we’re dealing with. I could certainly use a shower. Sponge baths do the job but they’re not as pleasurable as lots of hot water beating against my skin.

I wondered if the showers were open at all truck stops or just some. I went online and Pilot/Flying J proclaimed their showers are available and sanitized after each use. Cool. Where was the closest one to my boondocking camp? Almost 40 miles away. I didn’t care. Now that the idea was in my head I wouldn’t be able to rest until I had my shower.

The travel center was nearly deserted. There was no one in the cashier line. And there was no wait for a shower. The room had that not-too-pleasant-yet-reassuring odor of disinfectant. The water was hot, the pressure was good, the towel was large. I was in heaven.

While shaving, the impulse hit me to delete my mustache but keep the chin whiskers. Because, variety. Oh, wow, my lip is very pale. Evidently a bit of hair is an effective sunscreen.

7 comments:

  1. When I shave my moustache, I can't feel above my upper lip anything when I touch it with my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shower sounds really good about now. As you saying, mainly for the animal pleasure of the hot water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since the trucking industry has been declared essential, those places serving truckers are providing what services they can while maintaining social distancing. I'm glad you found your shower to be pleasurable. There's nothing quite like hot water pounding on your upper back and shoulder muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The challenge with wanting the clean cut look one has to do it daily. I'm not lazy I'm not ambitious; I'm ambitiously lazy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course we have a shower in the trailer, but most of the time I take a sponge bath and try to conserve water. But your right, there's nothing like a lot of hot water under pressure. But, 40 miles? I know, for you, that's nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, about 12 of those miles were just getting to the Interstate.

      Delete
  6. Ah, the beauty of a jug shower - make the lid of a one gallon water container into a shower head by punching, drilling or melting holes. Heat the water, add a wood grate to stand on, enjoy. A gallon is plenty for a sailor style shower - get wet, soap up sparingly, use the bulk of the gallon for rinsing.

    ReplyDelete