Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Can your life fit in a van?

What sort of things do you need to do day to day, year to year, to feel like you’re living a full, rich life? A few things or a great variety? Simple things, or more involved activities?

We vandwellers talk a lot about downsizing the amount of stuff we have in order to fit in a van. But I haven’t come across much discussion of adjusting one’s life to a size that works in a van.

A nomad friend recently said not to believe those who say living in a van is easy. My reaction was, gee, it has been rather easy for me. Sure there are inconveniences, but nothing has been very difficult.

I guess that’s because I’m not trying to have the same life I had before. I’m not trying to live as if I’m not living in a van. That would be hard. It would be impossible. And even if I could pull it off somehow, it wouldn’t make me happy. Because I’m done with all that. I was done with it several years before I finally escaped. But the things that are important to me now, the things that give my life meaning, can fit in the Rolling Steel Tent with plenty of room to spare. In fact, the most important things fit in my head and heart.

But this is just me. I realize everyone is different, has different needs, desires, limits, obligations, goals, paths… All I’m saying is if you’re contemplating van life, think about whether the totality of you and all you want from life can fit in a van. Otherwise, it’ll be a struggle.

6 comments:

  1. Very well written. Very accurate. I am in year 13 of living in my 20 foot travel trailer. In the last two years this trailer has become quite a bit larger than needed or wanted. With over 300,000 miles on it, it will age out in the near future and I look forward to a noticeably smaller trailer. Van/motorhome life is not for me but a much smaller trailer is definitely in my future. Thank you for the thought invoking blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. > A nomad friend recently said not to believe those who say living in a van is easy. My reaction was, gee, it has been rather easy for me.

    It's been rather easy for me for the opposite reason - I was already living a van-style life, philosophically if not materially, in a house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most important thing to fit in your van is your head. I loved it, most people never give it a chance to grow on them. I've had 5th wheelers, a 17 foot trailer, and a small motor home, they are all a hassle we don't need as we get older. Less is more, freedom is precious, a van is all I'll ever want. My internal dialogue trys to convince me bigger is better, but that's consumer crap, leave it where it belongs, in the ditch, ..turn the key, and drive away. As long as your head fits, the rest is clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the student is ready the teacher appears.

    ReplyDelete