Saturday, June 23, 2018

How to avoid mosquitoes

Number Two on my friend Vanholio’s list of reasons not to camp by water is:
Guess what else loves water? Mosquitoes! That goes for lakes, ponds, marshes, creeks, rivers, seashore, bays, and the rest. Water equals mosquitoes. It’s a simple goddamn formula.
He’s right. And I should know better. But sometimes I cross my fingers and hope I’m lucky. The only ones lucky at the Page Springs campground were the mosquitoes. But I had a plan (other than shutting the van tight and never going outside).

The dry lakebed of the Alvord Desert has no water, therefore no mosquitoes.

4 comments:

  1. Vanholio has given up on van life or so he says in his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adjust mirrors, assume the John Wayne stare, engage R, accelerate slowly, account for the rotation of the earth, do a 360 in both directions, drive in an S pattern backwards till confidence exceeds f.e.a.r. (false evidence appearing real).

    ReplyDelete