Saturday, October 4, 2014

Pueblo-Deco

Clem "Pop" Shaffer was a Renaissance man. Blacksmith, merchant, horse trader, land speculator, philanthropist, patriot, hotelier and artisan. He built the Shaffer Hotel in Mountainair, New Mexico, in 1923 and, evidently, had a blast decorating it. Here, for example, is the dining room ceiling:


This was done years before the Hitler appropriated the swastika

As if that weren't enough, Pop built and decorated a concrete fence. Because anyone could do mere wood, right?

That's a lot of rock to collect. If it had been me, I would have decorated a gate and called it a month. I'm not sufficiently obsessive. And this is why tourists don't stop to see my work and take pictures to post on their blogs.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome photos! I passed through this town and saw many of these but until I saw your photos I really didn't appreciate what I'd seen! You have inspired me to be more conscious and alert - and to take pics of more things that catch my eye! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete