Thursday, February 26, 2015

Essentials

There's a spectrum of people who live full time on the road, from backpackers and cyclists at one end of the scale, up to people like the ones I saw yesterday who were towing a 35-foot travel trailer behind a 45-foot Class A motor coach.

Since I live more toward the minimalist end of the scale, I have to resist mocking those who want to take as much of their former building dwelling accoutrement as possible with them. My sanctimonious internal Thoreau screams, "You don't need all that stuff!" What I should actually say is, "I don't need all that stuff."

What do we need? What is essential? Abraham Maslow offered his famous Hierarchy of Needs. Well, somewhere after the basic needs, in among the psychological needs, might be the desire to not feel deprived. The definition of deprivation varies from person to person. Some people can't imagine how I can stand not having a microwave oven or a recliner. I can't fathom how others happily live without Internet access. Or cold beverages. Or a plush mattress.

My internal Mies van der Rohe wishes he could make a bunch of converts to the Church of Less is More. But my internal Taoist knows each person must follow her/his own path. Sometimes on foot, sometimes in a big-ass RV towing another big-ass RV.

7 comments:

  1. what's this plush mattress I keep hearing about? Did you post about it at some point?

    Ming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an extra long twin mattress from Mattress Firm, 8" thick, regular foam. I added a 4" memory foam topper.

      Delete
    2. now that's a bed!! Good sleep is so important!

      Ming

      Delete
  2. I agree that we can become a bit self centered with how we view others, but I do believe that the minimalist has a much better effect on planet earth. With that in mind, having too much stuff is no longer a subjective analysis, but rather, can be based on the effects line is having on the environment through the accumulation of all that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word line in my comment should be one to make sense. Darn AutoCorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al, good post for thought. You would look at my husband and I and say we have too much in our 24 ft travel trailer. I would look at the people in your article and wonder just what they had before they downsized to a motor coach and trailer for their essentials. Essentials are different in each set of eyes. Personally I would like to have even less and I am still working on that. I am with you on not using a microwave though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently, I need a microwave and internet and a comfortable bed. Not much more than that in the luxury line, though. I don't even care if my beverages are warm. :)

    ReplyDelete