Thursday, April 26, 2018

A new plan

I had to go to Douglas, Arizona, to pick up a package. I could go several directions from there, one of which was north, up US-191. I've traveled several sections of that highway but not the entire thing. So why not?

Up to Chiricahua National Monument (today's stop), the Mogollon Rim and Gila Mountains, through the Navajo Nation, onward to Moab/Arches/Canyonlands, Flaming Gorge, past the Wind River Range, through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, and through Montana's Big Sky Country to the Canadian border.

US-191 would act like the spine of the trek, with various side trips along the way like ribs. No hurry. The traveling season is just starting. Give the northern latitudes time to warm up.

As ever, this plan is subject to change at any moment. I might get one of my sudden, overwhelming cravings for the ocean. Or weather might force me back. But wandering with a plan is better (maybe) than without one.

3 comments:

  1. I have always liked having a general plan so I could visit any special places along the way. What I did not like to do is plan stopping locations along the route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I'll be interested to see if you divert plans to stay on 191 once you get to about Judith Gap in Montana. Or maybe even south of there, say, after Big Timber. North of Big Timber, you'll be getting into a lot of plains / ranch land. A few island mountains. Most visitors find the scenery gets... ok, boring. But that is individual taste. The Missouri Breaks can be interesting. Even further west, there are hoodoos and canyons (Makoshika State Park is great but way off your "spine.' Back in the 90s, I handled publicity for the state of Montana. Will be interested to hear your reactions to this less traveled highway. (Hwy 89 is usually referred to as the scenic way to go south to north, just FYI. But that may be a reason to avoid it.)

    ReplyDelete