Monday, June 29, 2015

Hurray for e-books!

Obviously, I can connect to the Net right now. I usually can. It's my main source of information, entertainment and time wasting. But what do I do when I'm too far out in the boonies to get online? I read.

Some of my recent reading

I've done a lot of reading this month. I've read until my eyes couldn't focus anymore. I've read myself to sleep.

That's curious, considering how much I hated reading when I was a kid. I thought it was such an inefficient way to communicate, and that the stuff they wanted me to read didn't seem worth the effort.

As I headed out on the road, a friend let me copy a hard drive full of e-books onto my computer. Hundreds of books. Even so, I've purchased more e-books. And more e-books.

My teachers would be so proud—though they might not be thrilled with the types of books I'm reading. Not too much "literature." Not much from before the 20th century. I have a crapload of classics. I'll get to them someday. In the meantime, I have some non-fiction and some pulpy stuff calling my name. Yes, Elmore, I'm on my way!

3 comments:

  1. For me eBooks replaced the library when we went on the road. Now that we are parked again I still read eBooks. I get most of mine free from ManyBooks.net but most of my mysteries come from Amazon. Still cheaper than paperbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Merriam Webster dictionary in my cell phone. I find that remarkable!
    (I'm an old guy)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read any Paul Theroux?
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete