Saturday, May 20, 2017

Drivin' and thinkin'

I was driving north on I-15, on the outskirts of greater Las Vegas. On my right was a place that auctions commercial trucks and heavy equipment. There were two school buses on the lot. One was sort of medium sized. I thought, “That would be more than big enough for me. If I were to do a schoolie. Not that I am, but, you know, if. I mean, if I were to go to the trouble and expense of buying one and fixing it up I’d want something a little larger than a short bus but not so huge it would be a pain to maneuver. Of course, even that smaller one is too long to park just anywhere…”

That kept my mind occupied until the junction with US93, where I stopped for gas. After that I contemplated the need for billboards telling big rig drivers, “If it takes several miles to pass another rig, you probably didn’t need to make that pass.” But that violates a basic rule of billboards: seven, eight words, maximum.

That kept my mind occupied until Mesquite, at which point I started thinking about getting bagels in Saint George. Mmmmm, bagels.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how many roads your mind goes down when your vehicle is going down its own road?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we are just a fly in the ointment for the truckers. Their world would be a better place without us getting in the way.
    This morning, somewhere south of Chicago, a guy "on the clock" in a company pickup truck was all over me because I made him honor his yield sign. I was over it long before he got done flashing and waving and honking. Silly me.
    Some day, after the zombies come, we'll have the roads to ourselves ;)

    ReplyDelete