Sunday, May 14, 2017

Things I missed my first time in Rhyolite

When I visited the Rhyolite ghost town this past October I focused (figuratively and literally) on the large ruins along the main drag. But there's more. So I went back.

Tom Kelly's Bottle House shows what someone can do if they're patient, obsessive, and surrounded by a lot of heavy drinkers. I wish I could've gone inside to see the light coming through.

There are sculptures scattered around the small museum (which wasn't open when I was there). A miner and a penguin? Sure, makes perfect sense. As does a ghost with a bicycle.

Maybe it's Judas trying to make a break for it, because nearby is a depiction of the Last Supper.

There's a mosaic sofa where one might sit to contemplate the art (or anything else) and have one's clothing sliced by the edges of the tiles.

But wait! What's that? Could it be my new girlfriend? It's usually dark haired women who grab my attention, but, you know, it has been a long time.


2 comments:

  1. You go for statuesque women, eh? (hope I spelled that correctly but you get the pun). And this one appears to be a natural blonde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure to provide straight lines so my readers can provide the punch lines.

      Delete