Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Add this to your list

Calf Creek is a small, popular campground off highway 12 in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah. I was very lucky. I got that last available site.

The canyon walls soar above the campground. Calf Creek is fed by a spring and flows year-round. A 6-mile roundtrip hike leads to a waterfall.

I thought I'd be all limbered up from my Bryce Canyon hikes, but, yow, I was stiff and achy. So I didn't make the trek to the falls. Next time.

The creek creates a riparian zone thick with oaks and other vegetation. Too bad the leaves hadn't changed yet. You also need to ford the creek in order to get to some of the campsites. There's a pedestrian suspension bridge and the day use area has steps down to wading/swimming area. The water is rather cold, though.

It's a beautiful campground. I'd still be there if it weren't for total lack of cell signal. Hey, can't have everything.

4 comments:

  1. Calf Creek is truly a unique campground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Al , we will be going through there is a couple of weeks, hopefully the weather will hold for us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids these days and their internet addiction! Back in the day all ya needed was a good horse, a rifle & a sack of flour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete