Saturday, September 5, 2015

It's "hostel," not "hostile"

Where can one stay in San Francisco for $44/night that doesn't involve crashing with friends or sleeping under a bush? Where can one park for that little? If you don't mind sharing a room with strangers, then the hostel at Fort Mason. They call the location "San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf" because that's better known than Fort Mason. San Franciscans would roll their eyes.

Mine's the lower bunk by the window

I've met two of my roommates. One's from Ireland and the other from Australia. If there's too much snoring, farting or other unpleasantness (from them or me) I can retreat to the Rolling Steel Tent, then come in to use the showers and wifi.

I used to live a few streets from here

6 comments:

  1. O M G, U went to a hostel to sleep surrounded by a bunch of strangers ...are U for real ??


    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Alcatraz Prison, would love to tour the place !!! Have U been there ( I do NOT mean as an inmate ) ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if you would actually sleep inside when you mentioned using a hostel. But sounds like you could have some interesting conversations with your roommates if they are chatty. I think you are very smart to have secured a place you can park your van and have no fear of being hassled. I have to say though, I'd take my own sheet to wrap up in if I slept in the dorm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of sleeping in the van but going in to use their facilities. Does their wifi reach to your van? Did you have some good conversations with other visitors?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stayed at Fort Mason years ago when I was chaperoning a college tour with Kelly....me and a bunch of teenage girls in one room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hostel at Fort Mason is one of my favorites: for location and the facility. It's hard to beat SF in my book - just hanging out at the Marina Green is enough for me. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete