Tuesday, May 17, 2016

What time is it?

Is this sunrise or sunset? Does it matter?

Most of my life I hated getting up in the morning. I was a Night Person. Midnight seemed like a respectable hour to start thinking about going to bed. They don't let five-year-olds do that.

I'm not a Night Person anymore. Maybe I never actually was. Maybe I was just a Too Much TV Person. Because now, as a van dweller, I have no television demanding my attention (Oh look, a marathon of that mildly entertaining series is about to start on HBO). I'm usually ready to call it a day by nine o'clock. Or sooner.

It could also be the lack of external forces imposing a schedule on me. I don't need to fit my life into other people's cycles. I've been free to adjust into what's natural for me. I'm a Morning Person? Who knew?

And (sigh) it could be the aging thing. Old farts are up well before sunrise and have their supper at Denny's at four o'clock, right? Is that where this is headed?

Anyway, I've seen a lot more sunrises the past three years. They're highly underrated.

12 comments:

  1. Outstanding note, it sounds like ' freedom declaration ', LOVE your sense of humor / cheerfulness & yes, we, old farts do it better !! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon, Al. My name is Steve Stern and Peter Kuhlman recommended you to me. I will be driving a VW GTI from the San Jose area to my sister's in Albuquerque and I am hoping you might have a couple of suggestions on where I can camp along the way. I have been sleeping out all my life, so that is not the problem, the problem is low ground clearance on the GTI. I would appreciate and tips as to a good location around the halfway point. Thanks, Steve (here is a typical campsite from my blog) http://srstern.com/2012/on-the-road-to-las-vegas-a-layover-day-in-mojave-national-preserve/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. Is there a particular route you want to take? What time of year?

      Delete
    2. And what would you consider half way?

      Delete
    3. My usual route is through Barstow, Kingman, and Flagstaff but I am open to any suggestions. I'll be leave next week. I would say that halfway is somewhere between Barstow and Holbrook AZ. I've camped in Utah but I have always had a 4X4 and was able to get off the pavement pretty far. Thanks, again. Steve

      Delete
    4. Oh, and I'm not crazy about sleeping in a tent. I usually stay away from well used camping places because I find them pretty dirty and I don't like laying my bag down in somebody else's discarded chicken bones. Thanks.

      Delete
    5. Okay, then I would suggest the National Forest along A-1 Mountain Road just west of Flagstaff. Exit 190 from I-40. It's paved for a bit, then it turns into a well maintained dirt/gravel road. There are various forks and you usually have a choice of woodland or meadow. You might have only a slight hump to get off the road into a camping area. I don't think you'll have clearance problems. Or trash problems. It's at about 7,200 feet, so it will be cooler than anything to the east or west. I was just there a few days ago.

      Delete
    6. Thanks, I appreciate the tip. I'll let you know how it works out (the trip has been put off for a week so it should be a bit warmer).

      Delete
  3. I am not a morning person. If I see a sunrise it's because I have not yet gone to bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or as a friend used to say, "Wait--you mean there are TWO five-o'clocks in a day? Does that mean I get to leave work twice?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a morning person here. But i sure do like running by my own clock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clock?...What's that?...Something like a sundial??
    Upriver

    ReplyDelete