Monday, May 18, 2020

I don’t always eat crap

I had a thought during breakfast yesterday. What if I put savory things in my oatmeal instead of sweet? That should work.

It turns out that’s not an original idea. I got thousands of hits when I googled savory oatmeal. It looked like you could use anything you like, essentially substituting oatmeal for rice, potatoes, pasta, couscous… Cool. What did I have on hand?

This evening I sautéed a bit of onion, a handful of mushrooms, and half a zucchini in garlic butter, tossed in some leftover pork roast, a little salt and pepper, and some splashes of Vietnamese fish sauce.

I make my oatmeal with less water than recommended because I don’t like it runny. It’s about the consistency of sticky rice.

It certainly looked good.

It. Was. Delicious! It’s going to become a regular thing.

6 comments:

  1. I only like oatmeal as oatmeal raisin cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use oatmeal for "filler" frequently when I run short of an ingredient for a meal. It is nice that I really like oatmeal anyway. That food looked very inviting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom used to add oatmeal to meatloaf.

      Delete
    2. I had forgotten that happened in my early life also. I liked it.

      Delete
  3. I've been practicing avoiding sweets for breakfast for some time now. One of my favorite breakfasts is eggs and a big green salad. Another is hot tomato soup with a couple of eggs broken into it - the eggs are sorta poached.

    I'll have to try the oatmeal thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the recipes I saw online feature eggs.

      Delete