So now I’m waiting “up to five business days” for the new card to arrive at my billing address, which is my mail forwarder in Quartzsite. Then two or three more days for the card to be sent here.
I had already withdrawn some cash, so I’m good there. The only automatic payment I have set up is with Netflix, but I haven’t watched it in a long time, so this is sort of an easy way to cancel that. I’ll need to enter new payment info for the phone and insurance. No big deal.
This was the first ever case of spurious activity on any of my accounts. That’s forty-something trouble-free years of digital banking. As I keep saying, I’m a lucky guy.
An email came just as I finished writing this post (less than a half hour since talking to the bank):
Yup, the shit is getting done