Sunday, August 9, 2020

Let me make this clear

 I spent the night and most of the day in the parking lot of the closed-for-pandemic community center in Arcata, California. There are a handful of other vehicle dwellers here, too. Some, like me, are passing through, but most are making it their home. It must be cool, because the police stopped by to calmly chat with a few of them and left without rousting anyone.

Then, a little while ago, a charitable young woman carrying a large box asked if I needed any food. 

“I’m fine, thank you. In fact, I’m in the middle of making clarified butter.”

“Oh, wow, that sounds good. Well, have a nice night.”

“That depends on how this butter turns out."

Not bad, I think.

9 comments:

  1. I had not heard of clarified butter before. It seems like a very good idea to me. Thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hyampom is the most remote place in America via road. I like Hayfork, the fairgrounds offer free camping too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free camping at the fairgrounds appears to no longer be the case.
      http://www.trinitycountyfair.com/facilities.html

      Delete
  3. The town of peanut makes for easy access East to the i-5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried clarified butter. I decided that takes the tasty part of butter out of it. But you can cook with it because it's the tasty parts that burn when you heat them too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to HSU in the 70's next to The People's Republic of Arcata.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that the same as brown butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's an article about the differences between clarified butter, ghee and brown butter.
      https://www.abeautifulplate.com/clarified-butter-ghee-and-brown-butter/

      Delete
  7. When the pandemic started, Walmart was out of most cooking oils. But the folks around where I was didn't know about ghee, so I loaded up. Good stuff for the van!

    ReplyDelete