Saturday, August 8, 2020

The early bird gets the parking space

 I was up and on the road before the sun cleared the eastern horizon. Two reasons: I wanted the morning light, and I wanted to beat the Saturday crowds.

An online recommendation sent me to the Stout Grove trail in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, at the north end of a cluster of redwood forest parks between Crescent City and Klamath (not to be confused with the village of False Klamath, or Klamath Falls OR). There was only one other vehicle there. Yes! 

Stout Grove is a short loop, with a bunch of small unofficial trails wandering among the trees, but it takes a while to walk. Proper gawking and photography requires time, man.


  1. Please note that starting in a few days Oregon State Parks are charging an extra fee for out of state folks to use the park. Up to 3o% more according to their website.

  2. That would suck if I were ever to use one of their parks. Haven't so far.

    1. The only two pay-to-stay spots I've used in Oregon (other than the Motel 6 in Grants Pass) were the marinas in Newport and Winchester Bay.

  3. Geez, brought back memories..1987?..Late wife and I visited J/S state park..The trees spoke to us and there was a sweet swimming hole...We had my 1985 Dodge Van with less than you have in your ride..We were just on vacation..
    Headed over 299?..Gold folks with those big hoses left the old days..Then back up I-90 back home and WORK!!!!..Acck!

  4. And no need for A/C. Just like our early pioneers.

  5. Remember Smith The Cat?

    I had followed a rough track down to a riverside campspot (on the Smith River) when she came mewing out of the bush.

    It was almost a year later that she jumped ship in Cedar City (Utah) in a blizzard. She always liked the cold and it was a great spot next to the river with lots of places for mice. A great huntress, she'd had enough of riding around in a stinkin' car and was at that age where Huxley advocated in *Island* sending children off for several years.

    She was unrelenting; I put her out in her harness at 2:00 a.m. and in the morning she was gone. I searched for over an hour, but I'm (still) convinced she'd "had enough."