Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Mendocino coast star photo

Sometimes I know what to expect with a star photo. other times I'm pleasantly surprised. Such was the case last night. I've been wanting to do a star photo by the ocean, but it's rare to have the necessary conditions, which mostly means no fog or overcast.

The fog hadn't rolled in yet and the Milky Way was high in the sky. I set up on the edge of the bluff, hoping to get some sort of ocean image in the shot. It was really dark. Too dark, alas, for the water to show. A little moonlight wold have helped. But the Milky Way looked terrific.

Then in the middle of a 25-second exposure, a car came down the highway. What would that do to my shot? This:

Sometimes I get lucky

4 comments:

  1. Well I will comment. Those are real nice pictures. Thank you for letting us travel along with you. Ozark Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot, the car had good timing.

    Trainman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please forgive me if this posts multiple times. I have had a devil of a time getting the comments widget thingy to work correctly. ARRGH!

    Anyway...the long and short of what I was trying to say is that I really love this shot. It's magical. I have only glanced at your photography here and there. Looking forward to seeing more and learning about your equipment and approach to the art. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete