Monday, January 16, 2017

I can be a jerk (or worse)

Kuehn Street, in Quartzsite, from the camp host turn-in for Scaddan Wash until its eastern end, is crumbling asphalt. And the speed limit is 35. At least for the part that's posted. Many of the various RVs, travel trailers, trucks, vans and whatnot on that road drive slower than 35. Some are looking for campsites off to the south (rather than pulling onto the wide, flat, smooth shoulder to do that). Some drive as if they have no idea where they are or where they want to be. Some drive as if they believe they will earn extra points in the hereafter for every mile per hour under the limit. Some drive as if disturbed by the roughness of the pavement and think it won't be as bad if they drive slowly. Some (me) drive it like mad men, like total asses.

I'm one of those asses who believes rough pavement feels smoother the faster you go. And I'm one of those double asses who has little patience for those I imagine to be timid or inattentive drivers. And I'm one of those triple asses who, knowing there's no enforcement along a stretch of road like that, will drive, oh, 50 miles per hour. And will blow past the folks who are trying my patience. But it's wrong.

So, to the four or five drivers I zoomed past this afternoon and all the times before, and especially to the guy on the scooter who stopped to give me a proper lecture I didn't want to hear, I deserve whatever things you shouted or fingers you waved. It was stupid of me.

6 comments:

  1. I drove on the smoother shoulders that were actually two track dirt roads for the most part. If you want to blow by me driving on that rough asphalt, go for it. I considered it annoying at any speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are you in a hurry!! At least you are man enough to own up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do slow drivers not worry about the time of the people behind them they're wasting? ;)

      Delete
  3. So was that headed to lunch or on the way back? Saw your van at Lin's Monday. You were right the signage does not help your stealthiness.

    JWFitz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunch was secondary. I'd gone to Los Algodones for medicine.

      Delete