Thursday, June 15, 2017

Road trip

The drive to Denver and back reignited my wanderlust. I looked at the map. Highway 149 said, "Try me." So I did. From Blue Mesa Reservoir near Gunnison, through Lake City, over 11,530 foot Slumgullion Pass, past Spring Creek Falls, to Creede, following the Rio Grande to South Fork. Then US160 over 10, 857 foot Wolf Creek Pass (of C.W. McCall fame) to Pagosa Springs. A night at Ute Campground then on to Durango, where I'm writing this and trying to decide whether to take the short way back to Ridgeway via US550, which I've driven before, or take the long way via Cortez, Lizard Head Pass and Telluride. I'm leaning toward the latter, even though I've been that way before, too. Just not as recently as US550. In the meantime, here are pictures from the first leg of the trip.

Lake San Cristobal as seen from Slumgullion Pass

Uncompahgre Peak (sixth highest in Colorado)

Spring Creek Falls

Main Street, Creede

A section of Wolf Creek Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment