Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Water diversion and the navel of the world

I was feeling a little cabin feverish yesterday, even after walking for a couple of miles. I needed a new vista. So I drove to Arivaca Lake.

Its main attraction is fishing, either from boats or the shore. There’s a little room for camping, but I didn’t stay. I poked around on the fishermen’s trails for a while, had lunch, then headed back to the refuge.

Since my transportation is also my home, I can move camp on a whim. The green map showed a couple of campsites on the west side of the highway, much closer to Baboquivari Peak. Maybe they were vacant. One of them was. So here I am now.

Baboquivari Peak is the most sacred place to the Tohono O’odham people. It is the center of the Tohono O’odham cosmology and the home of the creator, I’itoi. According to tribal legend, he resides in a cave below the base of the mountain. 
This mountain is regarded by the O’odham nation as the navel of the world — a place where the earth opened and the people emerged after the great flood. (Wikipedia)

3 comments:

  1. There has to be a connection here. Is there Arivaca Lake close enough to Baboquivari to pass as a remnant of the great flood?

    And certainly if one is thinking of innies vs outties, Baboquivari would set a fine standard for an "outie." Are you making inquiries as to whether outties (one T or two?) are more revered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could pass, but it's man made. The Sea of Cortez is fairly close, though.

      Delete
  2. Interesting area, thanks Al, I enjoy your posts ALOT, as I'm sure many other seasoned tramps that never comment because isolationists generally only talk to their pets.

    ReplyDelete