Friday, February 17, 2017

A stop along the way

The Falcon International Reservoir was created in the 1950s by damming the Rio Grand south of Laredo, Texas. I'm camped three miles from the border at Falcon County Park. Free camping, water, toilets, showers, some electricity, tables, fire pits, etc. And trees. Haven't had any of those lately.

It's one of those places I would never have know about if it weren't for online sources like FreeCampsites.net or Campendium.com.

Right now the grass is mostly brown and some of the aforementioned trees are bare. It's probably a lot nicer in spring, which is technically just a month away.

My GPS unit got me here from Port Mansfield without using any interstates and scarcely any divided highways. But that's okay, because Texas, knowing it's large and spread out, has high speed limits even on two lane roads. And traffic was light.

It was sunny and warm with perfectly acceptable humidity. Not desert-low, but comfortable. Meanwhile, reports from friends say it's windy and wet in the Yuma area. No rush to get back there.

8 comments:

  1. You have the perfect rig for wandering aimlessly. I do it as often as I can. The freedom/adventure/unknowing is wonderful. Why not try it for awhile? Yuma's not going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nomadic friends are amused, sometimes aghast, at how much I wander. And I don't understand how or why they can stay in one spot for weeks on end. I'll stay because they're there. But then I get jonesing bad to travel, which is why I'm in Texas while friends are in Arizona..

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I didn't know about his place. Next time I wander that way, I'll have to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Border Patrol just cruised the perimeter of the park where there are trees, bushes and such where people might hide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a good place to hang out for a bit. Free electricity and showers are not something to hurry on by. I'd probably stay at least two days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should clarify that the electricity is an outlet in the gazebo. You could park near it and run an extension cord to your rig.

      Delete