Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Wasting a day

There's a narrow window of calm air in the morning, but it was closing by the time I got my act together and on the road. It was howling out of the south at 25 to 40 miles per hour as I drove west on I-10. Not fun.

I called it quits in Deming. A whole 60 miles for the day. So much for my plan to head south to Columbus, near the border, then west on Highway 9 through Hachita and Animas on my way to Douglas, Arizona. If I was going to be blown around, I'd rather do it while parked. And asphalt makes less dust. Hurray for Wallydocking.

I wanted to get a better look at the "boot heel" of New Mexico because I've been working on a short story I've set there. Out of the way, little known, hostile to human survival... Perfect for what I had in mind. I pledge to get an early start.

8 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to make it down to the boot heel before it gets too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to check out Playa, but I doubt they'd let me in, what with DHS running exercises there.

      Delete
  2. Al, keep track of expenses for the bootheel area in case you publish your story at some point. Several types of location expenses can be deducted for a writer, as I'm sure you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Wallyworld in Deming is more popular than I realized. I met a new-to-me van dweller there. Then internet friends drove up to meet me there. Then my daughter came in her truck and spent a night parked near me. All in one day between my two nights there. You see anyone you know while there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you need a spot to stop in Douglas, we have a patch of land there you are welcome to squat on. Text if interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm squatting with Linda May on her patch of land. But I'll text to get yours for the next time I'm in the area.

      Delete
    2. Always better to squat with company.

      Delete