Thursday, August 17, 2017

The book is out

I met journalist Jessica Bruder three years ago at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous—a gathering of full- and part-time nomads that has grown from dozens to hundreds in a handful of years. She interviewed me and several others for an article she was writing for Harper's. (I got quoted.) That article was the genesis for her soon-to-be-released book, Nomadland. My pre-release copy arrived today.

Jess returned for other RTRs and we became friends, keeping in touch via Facebook, text and email. Not only was my book signed with a personal message, I discovered I'm mentioned in the acknowledgements. I'm flattered.

Jessica doesn't just drop in, interview a few people and take off. She an immersive journalist, staying with the story, experiencing the story. Her Harper's article was not only factually true, it rang true. It caught the feeling and the meaning. I expect Nomadland will have the same qualities. Excuse me while I go read it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm about a third of the way through the book and it's excellent, and not just because it features people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah-ha, there are a few paragraphs about me, a few about Lou (including a picture, because he's far more photogenic than me), and a few about an unnamed guy teaching how to repair a flat tire. That was Forrest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's Linda May (around whom the book is structured), LaVonne, Sylvianne, Sameer, Lisa, Lois, Vincent, Swankie, Randy, Atli, Wayne, Kyndal, James... And some people I'd like to get to know.

      Delete
  3. I finished it. Many thumbs up, not just because it's about my lifestyle and people I know, not just because it puts many human faces on the screwed up economy and a dubious future. The writing is excellent and the storytelling is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Can't wait. I will go and order it now. Thanks for the review. The article was depressing and a bit hopeful. I'm hoping this book contains a bit more of the hopeful part.

    ReplyDelete